Our Green Factory Program has helped all our Honda plants worldwide meet the toughest international management standards. Our facility in Alliston was one of the first Honda plants to be ISO14001 certified, and currently recycles 99% of its production waste. It is the first Honda facility in North America to achieve this.
Our environmental commitment goes beyond automobiles. Introducing the New Honda Campus.
There's an old saying, "If you're going to talk the talk, you've got to walk the walk." And if you were to take a walk around the new Honda Campus in Markham, Ontario, you'd realize that our commitment to protecting and sustaining the Canadian environment is something we're very serious about. In the words of Masahiro Takedagawa, president and CEO of Honda Canada Inc., "Despite the tough economic times, Honda is committed to investing in our future in Canada as a corporate citizen."
Three buildings, one vision
Our new campus will feature 3 buildings: a four-storey, 138,000-square-foot head office building; a 71,000-square-foot technical centre for research and development, engineering and training; and a 224,000-square-foot parts distribution centre. Each building will be designed to meet strict LEED® (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) standards.
Getting LEED certification requires meticulous planning, dedication and execution. Here are just a few of the innovations at our new campus:
- The buildings are oriented on the grounds to optimize energy performance. So less heat in winter and less air conditioning in summer will be required.
- Heating comes from underneath a raised floor to provide more efficient distribution and reduce energy consumption.
- The lighting system automatically adjusts according to how much natural light is already present in the building. It also turns off if no one is working on the floor.
- Rain water that runs off the warehouse roof is stored underground for use in irrigation.
- Rain water from parking lots is drained through bio filters before being released to public sewer systems.
- 50% of the wood used in construction came from sustainable sources.
- Over 8,000 plants, shrubs and trees have been planted.
Open for Business
Our new Honda Campus is now officially open on over 53 beautiful acres in Markham, Ontario. It's another way we’re helping to keep Canada a beautiful place.