frequently Asked Questions

Section 1. Movement of Vehicles between Canada and the United States

What documentation do I require if I am moving to the United States and I want to take my Honda vehicle with me? Will my warranty be valid in the United States?

Usually, Canadian Honda vehicles can be taken with you when you are moving to the United States. There are exceptions based on whether a vehicle complies with State and Federal Safety Regulations for the United States. If a vehicle is eligible to be brought into the United States, you will need to obtain specific documentation to produce either at the border crossing point, and/or at the state motor vehicle licensing office at your destination, as follows:

  • You will need a recall clearance letter from Honda Canada stating that there are no outstanding recalls on the vehicle. Contact the Honda Canada Customer Relations Department on our toll-free line, at 1-888-946-6329 and request a "Recall Clearance Letter". Have your 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) available when you call, as we must quote it in the letter we prepare for you. Recall Clearance Letters will only be provided for individuals who are exporting a Honda for their own personal use. Letters are not supplied for commercial exporters of used vehicles.

  • You will also need a compliance letter from American Honda to stipulate that your Canadian vehicle complies with the applicable U.S. safety and emissions requirements. You must contact American Honda at their toll-free number, 1-800-999-1009, and request a "Compliance Letter". Have your VIN ready as American Honda will require it in order to provide the letter.

If I move to the United States with my Canadian Honda, will the manufacturer's warranty be valid in the U.S.?

Technically, as is stated in the Warranty Guide that is provided in the glove box of every vehicle sold, the manufacturer's warranty provided by Honda Canada Inc. is only valid for vehicles that are "normally operated in Canada". However, American Honda will provide warranty coverage for the applicable warranty period if you fax or mail the following documents before you move to the United States:

  • A copy of a current Canadian driver's license to show proof of Canadian residency

  • A copy of the Canadian Bill of Sale, which must have the VIN, selling dealer name, and engine number

  • A copy of the Canadian permanent vehicle registration. Temporary registration is not acceptable.

  • A copy of the current vehicle registration in the United States.

You must contact American Honda Automobile Customer Relations (1-800-999-1009) to determine if the above applies in your specific case, and if the warranty provided by Honda Canada Inc. can be applied to your situation.

If I purchase a used Honda in Canada that was originally sold as a new car in the United States, will Honda Canada provide any warranty coverage?

No. The reciprocal warranty agreement between Honda Canada and American Honda only covers owners who relocate from one country to the other, or owners from one country who are travelling on business or vacation in the other country. If a vehicle that was originally sold new in the United States is brought into Canada, its warranty only applies to the owner that purchased the vehicle while living in the U.S. and who imports the vehicle into Canada for their own personal or family use.

I am planning to move to Canada from the United States with a Honda automobile that I bought in the U.S. What do I have to do?

If you want to import your Honda into Canada from the U.S.A., you must contact American Honda Customer Relations at 1-800-999-1009 to obtain the necessary paperwork, if in fact your vehicle is eligible for importation, prior to arriving at a border crossing in Canada. You must also contact the Registrar of Imported Vehicles in Canada, at 1-888-848-8240, and/or visit their web site at

Is my Honda Plus extended warranty policy transferable to the United States if I move there with my car?

No. Check your Honda or Acura Plus contract for details on how to obtain a pro-rated refund if you are moving outside Canada with your vehicle.

I have a U.S. model Honda, and I am now living in Canada. I have learned that American Honda issued a recall on my vehicle. Can I have the recall repair done at a Canadian Honda dealership?

Yes. Although the same recall may not have been issued in Canada, any Canadian Honda dealership can obtain the parts to perform the recall. If the same recall was not announced in Canada, however, or if the recall parts for affected U.S. models are different, the Canadian dealer may have to request a special parts order, which could take some time if the parts have to be ordered in from the U.S..